In order to give the real dimension of what pesticides truly are, we would like to say in brief that it regards a professional tool in the hands of a professional farmer-producer.
In world history, there have been recorded a number of facts of total destruction of plant production such as: In Irish due to downy mildew in the potatoes as the production declined, from 1845-1857 1,000,000 people died of starvation and 2,000,000 immigrated to the USA. In 1859-1865, France was destroyed by phylloxera and production fell to 1/3. The economy in France was hit more than in the Second World War.
In conclusion, proper management of PPPs leads to the protection of the production, the user, the consumer and the environment.
The necessary condition is the proper storage, preparation, use and the decontamination of the formulations used.
Today's report provides us with guidelines for the proper management of PPPs, based on the Hellenic Crop Protection Association (HCPA) brochure and the Codes of Good Agricultural Practice (COGAP). Agriculturists give the necessary specific instructions as appropriate, but part of the process is in line with current legislation and the acquisition of the certificate of rational use of PPE by professional users as well.
Before you start working, check that you have all the necessary personal protective equipment with you (mask - gloves - overall - boots):
Define in advance where to start from and where to finish. Be careful not to go back to a sprayed area of the field.
- If you use a hose or a turbine, be sure to spray the crop well. If you use a sprayer, apply the exact volume of spraying solution based on the working instruction given to you.
- Do not spray when it is windy.
- Both during and after the application, do not eat, drink or smoke.
- At the end of the spraying, clean yourselves with plenty of water and soap, change clothes and wash them.
- After the application, place a special sign indicating that the field has been sprayed and do not allow workers, passers-by and grazing animals to enter.
- If there is any spraying liquid left, dilute it and spray again until it finishes on unused area.
- When it comes to fields close to rivers or lakes and generally to surface water, spraying should take place more than 2 meters
The waiting time is determined by the proper dose. In a larger dose, the waiting time is indefinitely longer.
Always take into account the time limit of the last operation before harvesting.
Association of Professional Agriculturists of Messinia
Read the greek and english versions of the issue here